About the role
An opportunity for a Benefit Officer has become available to work at Wallfields as part of the Benefits Team within the Revenues and Benefits Service. This is an exciting time for you to join us and develop your career as we continue to support our customers through Welfare Reform.
This motivated and highly professional team is looking for an individual committed to excellence in their work and with a passion for helping and supporting our residents. If successful you will be processing Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support awards across both East Herts and Stevenage Council areas. This will involve direct customer contact for the service including face to face interactions, telephone contact and in writing.
Some of the key responsibilities include:
- the efficient and accurate administration of all Benefit applications received and overpayments identified in accordance with the appropriate regulations, legislation and guidance
- providing information to customers with general enquiries
- ensuring that the shared services performance standards and targets are met.
- identify possible irregularities in benefit claims and refer these cases to the relevant Fraud Service
- undertaking and evidencing appropriate checks and responding to queries in accordance with the relevant legislation and requirements of the service
- ensure that all appropriate decision letters, overpayment invoices and reminders are issued in a timely manner
- ensure that payments and overpayments are correctly coded for subsidy purposes
- liaising with and provide advice/ guidance to other Council departments (across partner authorities) external agencies, Government bodies, organisations, stakeholders, Members and colleagues on all matters relating to Revenues and Benefits Shared Services as required to deliver a high standard of service.
- contributing to the achievement of EHC’s Service Level Agreements and key performance indicators
This role will suit a self-motivated; confident; organised; focused; methodical; enthusiastic team player who enjoys a varied role in a performance based service and customer facing environment.
The ideal candidate will have/be:
- proven relevant experience of processing Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claims in a local authority.
- detailed knowledge of Housing Benefit administration and legislation and Council Tax Support legislation and procedures.
- ability to prioritise and work accurately to targets and deadlines
- able to work on own initiative and without the need to be closely supervised
- the ability to work as part of a team, willing to assist others, but also take responsibility for own work as required
- competency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a strong customer focus
- experience of working with multiple stakeholders from the public and private sector
- ability and willingness to help support and provide guidance to colleagues and customers
- the ability to work under pressure with a heavy and varied workload and be able to explain complex benefit/financial assessments.
- experience of working on the Academy Benefits system or a similar software computer system.
- organised and methodical with the ability to process claim information to produce accurate benefit assessments; to make fair and consistent decisions
East Herts is consistently rated as amongst the best areas in the country to live, with excellent schools and healthcare, a huge array of green space, beautiful waterways, unique market towns and picturesque villages. We also enjoy high levels of employment and a diverse local economy.
The vision of the Council is to provide East Hertfordshire residents and businesses with a future that is prosperous and sustainable. In order to achieve this, a number of strategic objectives have been developed, which allow the Council in conjunction with its many partners to focus on the key issues that concern the residents of East Hertfordshire.
Whatever their role, everyone contributes to delivering great services to our local community. Our vision is to preserve the unique character of East Herts and ensure it remains one of the best places to live and work. To accomplish this, our focus is to improve the health and wellbeing of our communities, enhance the quality of people's lives and enable a flourishing local economy.
Our team is at the very heart of our council – we recognise that together with our elected members, we make the difference to our local communities. We are dedicated to staff development and individual success within a team framework. To help our staff deliver, we provide a supportive work environment, development opportunities and work to help everyone achieve their potential, whilst enjoying a positive work-life balance.
Benefits of working for us
- A variety of flexible working options available, including part-time working, job share, compressed hours and home working
- Flexi-time scheme
- Free tea and coffee
- Local Government pension scheme
- Generous annual leave
- A range of discounts including high street retailers and local leisure centres
- Professional environment where your career path really matters and your development is supported by the organisation
- Flexible and supportive team
As part of our Green Travel agenda we actively encourage employees to explore more economical and eco-friendly means of travel to work, e.g. public transport, cycle, walk or car share, and support this through a number of initiatives such as Liftshare.
How to apply
For an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact Theresa Mortimer on 01279 502067
Full details and how to apply can be found on our website: www.eastherts.gov.uk/jobs
Closing date: 31 May 2019 at 5:00pm. CVs will not be accepted.
If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date please assume that your application has not been successful.
If your application has been successful, the recruiting manager will contact you to invite you to an interview. We hope you enjoy the process and look forward to making contact with you very soon.
EHC is an equal opportunity employer committed to embracing a diverse and inclusive work environment. We aim to attract and retain the best people regardless of their gender, marital/parental status, ethnic origin, nationality, age, background, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity