About the role
An opportunity for a Senior Benefits Officer has become available to work at Wallfields as part of the Benefits Team within the Revenues and Benefits Service. This is an exciting time for you to join us and develop your career as we continue to support our customers through Welfare Reform.
This motivated and highly professional team is looking for an individual committed to excellence in their work and with a passion for helping and supporting our residents. If successful you will assist across all aspects of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support for the service; perform Quality Assurance checking for the team; make Discretionary Housing Payments decisions and carry out Staff Training.
Some of the key responsibilities include:
- provide support to the shared service managers in all aspects of the services functions and operation
- provide support to the benefits team by delivering timely and accurate awards of housing benefit and council tax support
- subsidy Audit checking/assurance
- testing of system upgrades
- dealing with service complaints and complex benefit claims
- contributing to the achievement of EHC’s Service Level Agreements and key performance indicators
- collaborating with colleagues throughout the business to deliver a high standard of customer service
- providing information to customers with general enquiries
- to assist with the development and implementation of new working methods and systems
This role will suit a confident; organised; focused; methodical; enthusiastic team player who enjoys a varied role; performance based service and customer facing environment.
The ideal candidate will have:
- a detailed knowledge of Housing Benefit administration and legislation & Council Tax Support legislation and procedures.
- a recognised qualification in Benefit Legislation (IRRV) or equivalent experience
- the ability to deal with challenging situations using tact and diplomacy
- experience within a busy administration role within an office environment
- competency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- excellent communication skills
- experience of working with multiple stakeholders from the public and private sector
- the ability to motivate people around them
East Herts is consistently rated as amongst the best areas in the country to live, with excellent schools and healthcare, a huge array of green space, beautiful waterways, unique market towns and picturesque villages. We also enjoy high levels of employment and a diverse local economy.
The vision of the Council is to provide East Hertfordshire residents and businesses with a future that is prosperous and sustainable. In order to achieve this, a number of strategic objectives have been developed, which allow the Council in conjunction with its many partners to focus on the key issues that concern the residents of East Hertfordshire.
Whatever their role, everyone contributes to delivering great services to our local community. Our vision is to preserve the unique character of East Herts and ensure it remains one of the best places to live and work. To accomplish this, our focus is to improve the health and wellbeing of our communities, enhance the quality of people's lives and enable a flourishing local economy.
Our team is at the very heart of our council – we recognise that together with our elected members, we make the difference to our local communities. We are dedicated to staff development and individual success within a team framework. To help our staff deliver, we provide a supportive work environment, development opportunities and work to help everyone achieve their potential, whilst enjoying a positive work-life balance.
Benefits of working for us
- A variety of flexible working options available, including part-time working, job share, compressed hours and home working
- Flexi-time scheme
- Free tea and coffee
- Local Government pension scheme
- Generous annual leave
- A range of discounts including high street retailers and local leisure centres
- Professional environment where your career path really matters and your development is supported by the organisation
- Flexible and supportive team
As part of our Green Travel agenda we actively encourage employees to explore more economical and eco-friendly means of travel to work, e.g. public transport, cycle, walk or car share, and support this through a number of initiatives such as Liftshare.
How to apply
For an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact Theresa Mortimer, Benefit Manager on 01279 502067.
Full details and how to apply can be found on our website: www.eastherts.gov.uk/jobs
Closing date: 31/5/19 at 5.00pm. CVs will not be accepted.
If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date please assume that your application has not been successful.
If your application has been successful, the recruiting manager will contact you to invite you to an interview. We hope you enjoy the process and look forward to making contact with you very soon.
EHC is an equal opportunity employer committed to embracing a diverse and inclusive work environment. We aim to attract and retain the best people regardless of their gender, marital/parental status, ethnic origin, nationality, age, background, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity