LGSS in partnership with Milton Keynes Council is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you’re looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council
This role will give experienced candidates currently working within Revenues and Benefits the opportunity to diversify their current knowledge and experience across the wider service.
We are looking for candidates who have a minimum of 18 months Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction assessment experience and who can demonstrate high standards of quality and output in their work.
Our Service supports some of the most vulnerable people in our community and we would expect all candidates to be able to demonstrate an outstanding commitment to customer service, including through written correspondence, over the telephone and face to face.
The Service is due to see a considerable amount of change and we are looking for staff that will be both flexible and adaptable to the needs of the Service and our customers. This may also include cross site working with our partners in LGSS.
We may be able to offer flexible working arrangements, including homeworking, which may be considered after demonstrating and maintaining consistently high standards and in consideration of the service needs.
- Process applications for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Discretionary Housing Payments and Discretionary Council Tax Reduction ensuring they are paid promptly and correctly in accordance with legislation and procedures
- Resolve to conclusion telephone, face-to-face and written enquiries
- Ensure that the Council Tax account information relating to the customer has the correct liability and if not, resolve any discrepancies that would affect the financial award
- Ensure that overpayments of Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Discretionary Housing Payments and Discretionary Council Tax Reduction have effective recovery set or are identified as not being recoverable in line with policies & procedures and are recommended for write off.
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
- Experience in Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction processing activities (minimum of 18 months experience)
- GCSE English & Maths grade A – C, or equivalent
- Experience of working with and understanding the needs of customers
- IT literate in Microsoft applications
- Experience of using the Northgate Revenues & Benefits System.
- Proven aptitude for, and experience of, working with numbers/financial calculations
- Excellent customer care skills
- Ability to communicate well
- Ability to work accurately
- Understanding and ability to work to relevant procedures and policies
- Respectful of the sensitivity of service data and able to operate with integrity and using professional judgement at all times
- Strong commitment to equality of opportunity, diversity and promoting the rights of minority and under-represented groups, in employment and via the Service
- Flexible and willing to adapt to change in busy and demanding work environment.
Milton Keynes Council Benefits
Use your skills to benefit the local community and experience a rewarding, interesting environment and attractive employment package such as:
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates
- A generous minimum holiday entitlement of 27 days per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Option to buy more annual leave
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Excellent in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership and Management
- Flexibility – with full time, part time and term time working options
- Fair pay and a commitment to a minimum Living Wage
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings including retail, travel and leisure discounts as well as a suite of salary sacrifice benefits.
At Milton Keynes Council we take great pride in our Community and we hope that you can help us grow and share our vision.
For further enquiries or an informal chat about the role please contact Jamie Fennell, Revenues & Benefits Team Leader, on 01908 253749 or Jamie.email@example.com.
We are also recruiting for Apprentice Revenues & Benefits Officers. If are interested in finding out more, please visit www.publicsectorjobseast.co.uk for Northampton based roles or www.milton-keynes.gov.uk for Milton Keynes based roles. For further information please contact Dena Durman on 01604 838748 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To Apply: For more information and to apply online, visit our website at https://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/jobs-careers